The Centre for Counselling and Guidance stands to provide care and support for students and faculty in their personal, social, academic and career development. Thus prepare confident, challenge taking responsible and mature individuals, who can fit into business and professional atmosphere.
Counselling and Guidance services in schools and colleges is uniquely American educational innovation focusing on the complete development of individual students and faculty through series of services designed to maximize academic achievement, stimulate career development, and respond to the personal and social concerns that for individual growth. It is a cooperative enterprise involving not only counsellors but also the participation of teachers, administrators, staff and other personnel in the educational institution.
Mission: Center for Counselling and Guidance in STC stands to provide care and support for students and faculty in their personal/social, academic, and career development. Thus, prepare confident, challenge-taking, responsible, and mature individuals, who can fit into business and professional atmosphere.
It aims to serve the students and faculty by enhancing motivation and attitude towards academic performance, facilitate personal and professional development by knowledge, wisdom, and compassion.
What We Offer: The centre for counselling and guidance at STC provides the following services to the students and staff.
- Direct individual and group counselling to help faculty and students towards maximum development to become fully integrated, mature, and responsible individual
- Testing and Assessment to assist students and faculty to achieve self-knowledge, self-actualization and professional growth
- Prevention/intervention services to facilitate adjustment to college life
- Regular seminar/workshops for students and faculty on personality and human development and problem behaviors
- Consultation, collaboration, advocacy, and program coordination to students, faculty, staff, administrators and parents or caregivers
- Network with nearby schools and industries for collaboration and consultation services
Peer Counsellor Services: Peer Counsellors are student volunteers, who have received orientation, available in the classroom, to help students in their problems, concerns related to academic as well as mental health issues. A strong team of students are chosen as peer counsellors and put into action on February 23, 2009.
Peer counsellors expand the Counselling centre’s services to the classrooms and provide opportunity to gain special insight into the needs and problems of the group being served. The students, who serve as peer counsellors, ultimately benefit from the specialized human relations training and the opportunity to help others, which contribute to their own personal growth and development.
- Mental Health Awareness in the month of October
- Suicide prevention week in the month of September
- Human rights day on December 10
- Regular outreach to schools and communities by peer counsellors
Major Events Organised in the Last Five Years
- Philatelic Exhibition
- Mental Health Awareness in the nearby schools
- Psycho-spiritual Development Program at Coimbatore Central prison
- World Photography day and Camera Exhibition on August 19, 2010
- Gandhiji’s Photo Exhibition
- Drawing Training
- Visit to the tribal settlement school at Sarkarpathy
- Ozone Depletion Awareness Program at Valparai
- Medical Camp for Narikkurava people at Ponnapuram
- Numismatics Exhibition
- Photo Exhibition in honour of Women day
- Field visit to Marayur (Kerala) Tribal settlement
- Human Rights day activities
- Special motivation for arrear students
- Social awareness and other related talks
- Talk on career choice for graduating students
Psycho-spiritual development Program at Central prison
The centre has made arrangements with the Kovai Prison authorities to conduct Psycho-spiritual development program for the prisoners round the year. This monthly program started on August 4, 2009 and still it is continued. The following modules are used: Module One: Realizing the higher self in you; Module Two: Life is a Gift of God; Module Three: Realise the Divine in You; Module Four: Spiritual Growth Module Five: Developing God given talents; Module Six: Identifying life’s plan in our life; Module Seven: Walking the Spiritual Path. The prisoners are issued certificates once they complete all the modules.