P. G Department Of Social Work at Sree Saraswathi Thyagaraja college was established in the year 2005 with the following fields of specialization in Professional Social Work Education;
- Personnel Management ,Industrial relation and Labour welfare (PMIR)
- Medical and Psychiatry and
- Community Development.(CD)
The above courses were offered as an affiliated masters degree programme of Bharathiar University till Sree Saraswathy Thyagaraja college Obtained its autonomous status in the year 2008.
Since becoming autonomous, the department has introduced innovative features in curriculums design and Concurrent Field Work Practicum .The syllabi of courses designed under the Autonomus pattern was framed by an independent body of field experts who constituted the Board of Studies . All the three streams of specialization had five elective papers each . Major noticeable innovations were introduction of the courses titled ;
- Statutory Enforcement and Case Laws (for PMIR Specialization)
- Social entrepreneurship and NGO Management (for CD Specialization)
- Rural Economy and Cooperation
- Rural Management(Common for all final year students)
- The field work placement training is a concurrent activity, where a student is expected to relate Social Work theory
- To practice in various settings such as NGO, Self help groups, social welfare agencies – Governmental and non governmental organization etc.
FROM HOD'S DESK
Dr.G.ANBUSELVI , M.A (SW)., PGHRD., Ph.D
The PG Department of Social Work had its modest beginning in the year 2005-06. It offers Post Graduate course of study in Social Work Education in three fields of specialization namely, Human Resource Management, Medical & Psychiatry and Community Development. On successful completion of the course students are awarded Master Degree in Social Work by Bharathiar University.
The department has a sanctioned strength of six faculty members and sixty students. All the staff members in the department are well qualified and experienced with NET and Ph.D. All the Faculty Members have enormous field, teaching and research expertise in diverse field settings of Social Work.
Presently, the department is functioning in a separate building with separate class rooms for specialization with adequate space for student-teacher individual field work conferences and Research Project Guidance sessions with a teacher-student ratio of 1:10. Getting Students from multi-cultural diverse settings provided an opportunity to learn different cultures from North East to Western Ghats.
The department has excellent net working with Industrial Organizations, Medical & Psychiatry Hospital Settings, NGOs and Government departments, Office of the Coimbatore Collector and Sub-Collector of Pollachi, Legal Aid Cell and Subordinate Court, District Rural Development Agency for Concurrent Field Work Training and Job Placement opportunities for all the three specializations – Human Resource Management, Medical & Psychiatry and Community development.