Master of social work, a Post Graduate and Research Programme based professional and academic discipline which is intended for improving the quality of life of an individual, group and community belonging to weaker sections. Social Work Profession promotes social change, handling problems in human relationships and the empowerment and liberation of people to enhance their well-being. Utilizing theories of human behavior and social systems, this program intervenes at the point where people interact with their environment. Principles of human rights and social justice are fundamental to Social Work. (International Association for Social Workers).
FROM HOD'S DESK
Dr.G.ANBUSELVI, M.A (SW)., PGHRD., Ph.D
Associate Professor and Head,
PG and Research Department of Social Work
Sree Saraswathi Thyagaraja College,
Pollachi – 642 107
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
The PG and Research Department of Social Work had its modest beginning in the year 2005-06. It offers Post Graduate, M.Phil, Ph.D in Social Work Education in three fields of specialization namely, Human Resource Management, Medical & Psychiatry and Community Development. On successful completion of the course students are awarded Master Degree in Social Work by Bharathiar University.
The department has a sanctioned strength of six faculty members and sixty students. All the staff members in the department are well qualified and experienced with NET and Ph.D. All the Faculty Members have enormous field, teaching and research expertise in diverse field settings of Social Work.
To prepare candidates for a career in social work through a professional training programme aimed at developing in them:
- Scientific knowledge about the dynamics of problems and issues in our society.
- An ability to critique the ideologies that lead to systematic domination and marginalization of vulnerable groups.
- To enhance necessary skills of awareness, empowerment of people and culture sensitive methods of social change.
- Ability to apply social work in practice and research in different fields for
- Achieving desirable change and development and empowerment of people.
- Attitudes and values necessary for working with people and organization for, enhancing peoples capacity for social functioning, improving the quality of life for everyone, promoting social justice, providing opportunities for people to develop their capacities to become participating and contributing citizens.
To envision “A Better Society worth to live through Individual and Social Change”.
- To create and disseminate knowledge about individual, community, and organizational concerns, social issues, social policy and practice interventions, within a tradition of multi-disciplinary and multi-professional research.
- To transmit, develop, critically examine, and apply knowledge to advance social work practice and social welfare policy in order to promote social, cultural and economic justice for the betterment of poor, vulnerable, and oppressed individuals, families, groups, communities, organizations, and society.