The Department of Psychology at STC had its modest beginning in the year 2014. The department has introduced various innovative, healthy and unique practices in the academic curriculum. All the allied papers are taught on FIELD- BASED Learning Model wherein the students are exposed to the real world situations by the teachers instead of the lectures inside the classroom. The department has also introduced Futuristic Learning Model in which the unique talent, learning style and future career aspirations of each student is nourished in the form of different learning modules, assignments and field reports. Some unique courses like seminars in psychology, psychology and social issues have been inculcated into the syllabus. In order to encourage critical thinking as well as application of knowledge in the examinations, cases are given to the students to analyze and answer together with the traditional theory based answering.
- Assist students to demonstrate familiarity with the major concepts, theoretical perspectives, empirical findings, and historical trends in psychology.
- Help students to use critical thinking and scientific approach to solve problems related to behaviour and mental process.
- Assist students to recognize, understand and appreciate individual differences, diversity in culture, family dynamics and, apply psychological principles to various issues.
- Application of theories and knowledge into real-life situation; career orientation based on aptitude and natural skills.
- Make the students familiar with various apparatus based experiments in psychology by taking them to the Psychology laboratory.
- Make the students psychologists in the future to create Indian theories of human behaviour and mental process.
FROM THE DESK OF HOD
“Good Psychology should include all the methodological techniques, without having loyalty to one method, one idea or one person”
– Abraham Maslow.
With an Affirmative quote on “Psychology” by one of the best psychologists the world has ever seen, the Department of Psychology at STC functions very much in congruence with this quote. We provide an enhanced academic curriculum to the students being framed in such a way that every student gets fascinated by it and exerts his complete willingness to learn the course to its profound level.
At present, the Department has a total of 61 students hailing from and around Pollachi. A significant percentage of students have also been joining this course from the neighbouring states every year. The department ensures that the students gets the basic understanding of the psychological principles inside the classroom and applies the same when he is taken out to the field visits every week. Along with that, he is also allowed to undergo a practicum in either clinical or industrial or school area in his final year for a period of ten days. This will be a launch pad for him to determine his future in this stream.
The Psychology laboratory gets equipped with various apparatus based experiments so that the student could get an idea on how human behaviour and cognitive processes can be easily comprehended by means of various experiments. The students are encouraged to participate and present papers in various national/ international conferences right from their first year so that it could be a brilliant exposure for them into the world of research and discussions at various elite forums.
After completing the under graduation in psychology, the student shall be able to make a decision on his postgraduate career primarily based on his interest and capability. The scope in the field of psychology has been increasingly felt in the society today and the student could get an optimistic future by being in either clinical field or industrial field or in school settings.
We assure you all that by getting into this course at this institution, you will get enlightened by the realm of psychology and witness a progressive transformation in yourselves by the end of three years.
“EXPERIENCE THE LEARNING ECSTACY WITH STC.!!!”